PLACE #30 - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada



Since I've never been to the East Coast of Canada, I had pictured a certain imagine in my head of what this place might be like. Once I arrived to my destination, all my thoughts were confirmed.  In my opinion, Halifax is a perfect combination of an old port city and a young vibrant community.  The boardwalk by the shore seems to be always busy, tall ships and small fishing boats are on the water and crowds of people enjoying  sunny weather on the busy patios.


In the summer of 2012 I traveled through the East Cost of Canada with a few of my very close friends. Halifax was our first stop and it was also our final destination after we drove through the East Coast, so technically I've been to Halifax twice once in the beginning of my trip and once right at the end.



During my stay in I visited famous Citadel, located on a hill in the center of Halifax. I saw historic reenactments, tried on soldier's uniforms, watched the canon shoot as I walked through the old fort. 


Halifax is a home to the older brewery in Canada - Alexander Keith's Brewery. I took a tour through the old brewery. The tour guides reenacted the daily routines of the 18th century crowd and gave us a taste of a delicious beer.

I also enjoyed Halifax Busker Festival that took place on the boardwalk and enjoyed a delicious authentic meal at  a local restaurant. Fireworks in honor of the festival were a perfect conclusion to my trip through the East Cost.

FYI:
In the summer of 2012 I travelled through the Maritimes with a few of my friends. We drove quite a bit on our trip through the East Coast of Canada - in total we drove more than 1800 kilometers. Here is a list of all places we visited on our trip:
1. Halifax, Nova Scotia
2. Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia
3. Saint John, New Brunswick
4. Hopewell Rocks National Park, New Brunswick (drive through only)
5. Charlottetown, Price Edward Island
6. Brackley Beach inside PEI Provincial Park, Price Edward Island (drive through only)
7. New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
8. Mabou, Nova Scotia (drive through only)
9. Cheticamp, Nova Scotia
10. Cape Bretton National Park, Nova Scotia (drive through only)
11. Baddeck, Nova Scotia

I kept a detailed diary while on the road, please visit Discovering Maritimes blog for more information http://discovering-maritimes.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment